The following riding rules have been developed to help each HOP passenger enjoy the ride and to maximize safety for everyone.
No list of rules can possibly cover all circumstances or potential events. However, the following rules for passengers has been developed and is presented in an effort to provide a quiet, comfortable, and safe ride for all passengers.
Keeping the bus stop areas clean and free of trash is a team effort. Although we have staff to periodically clean bus stops and cut grass and weeds, passengers should take trash with them. It is prohibitively expensive to place trash cans at each stop or even each shelter, and everyone helping together can keep the bus stops clean for everyone’s use.
- Passengers should sit promptly after boarding or use hand rails while walking to the seat so the driver can continue service without causing a passenger to fall.
- Passengers should remain seated until the bus has come to a complete stop, or use hand rails to keep from falling.
- Adult passengers must properly supervise all children and ensure they remain quiet and seated.
- All luggage, packages, and parcels must be kept safely under the seat or on the lap to avoid tripping hazards.
- Strollers must be folded after boarding the bus and stored under seats.
- Shopping carts, wire baskets, or other oversized personal items are not permitted unless they can be safely stored under the seat.
- If the bus is full, and passengers must stand, they must hold on to rails to avoid falls.
- Passengers must be very careful when boarding and alighting the bus to avoid tripping, slipping or falling, especially watching for steps, curbs, and street gutters.
- No radios, music boxes, boom boxes, loud music, or other distractions are allowed.
- No use of tobacco, smoking, or vape products is allowed while riding any HCTD vehicle.
- Clothing, including shoes must be worn. No swim suits allowed.
- No open containers are allowed – Only containers with a lid are allowed on the bus.
- No trash, gum, or discarded foodstuffs or containers are to be left on the bus.
- No eating is allowed.
- No person shall deface, damage, write upon, soil, spit in or on any HCTD vehicle.
- No pets or animals are allowed on the vehicle other than a service animal accompanying a person with a disability, or an animal in a standard pet carrier. Unsafe and/or disruptive animal behavior is prohibited.
- No person shall possess any explosives or carry any corrosive acid or flammable liquid, gasoline or a gasoline container or any type of hazardous material while on the vehicle. (Respirators and portable oxygen supplies are permitted to be carried on and used on board by a person needing them for health reasons).
- All portable oxygen supplies/bottles must be secured. You may secure them by using the seat belts, or by using bungee cords, or stanchions. Bungee cords or stanchions must be provided by the passenger.
- No illegal weapons are permitted on buses.
- No laundry is allowed on board except in an enclosed bag.
- No person shall interfere with the driver’s operation of the vehicle.
- No person shall use profane or abusive language toward the driver or other patrons, or act in a hostile or threatening manner on board.
- HCTD operated vehicles may not be used as a forum for religious, political, or personal beliefs.
- No printed materials, other than that specifically provided by or authorized by HCTD, may be distributed on board.
- All children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
ADA Specific Rules
- Passengers must accept service as shared rides, and they must often share vehicles with other passengers.
- Passengers must present The HOP ID Card or reciprocal ID card when boarding. The HOP ID Cards are nontransferable and may be revoked if misused. A valid government-issued (state or federal) photo ID will be required upon request with The HOP ID when boarding.
- Passengers must wear seat belts, and passengers using wheelchairs or other mobility equipment must adhere to securement requirements. Failure to do so may result in the trip being canceled.
- Drivers are not allowed to accept tips.